Interviewing for Graduate Programs
Interviewing for Health Professional Programs
The interview is one of the most important elements in the healthcare professions application process. When a school invites you to an interview, they are indicating an interest in selecting you. The interview gives both you and the admissions committee the opportunity to exchange information to determine if you are a good "fit" for each other.
The interview allows the admission committee to learn more about your experiences, assess your problem solving and critical thinking skills, and evaluate your interpersonal skills and your motivation for the profession.
- Individual - one applicant with one or more interviewers (there may be a panel of interviewers)
- Group - multiple applicants with one or more interviewers
- Multiple Mini Interviews (MMI) - a series of 6-10 interview stations, each focusing on a different questions or scenarios
- Open - the interviewer has seen and reviewed your application materials
- Semi-Open - the interviewer has seen a portion of your application materials
- Closed - the interviewer has not seen your application materials
Types of Questions
- General - ask about you, your motivations, and your goals
- Behavioral/Situational - ask you to share a previous experience and how you reacted
- Ethical - ask about ethics, ethical dilemmas, and other situations involving morality (more specific than above)
- 2023 Pre-Health Application Prep Program
- Spring 2023 Pre-Health Workshop Schedule
- American Physician Scientist Association Interactive Session - Feb 17
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences - Undergraduate Summer Internship
- "Black Men in White Coats" Documentary Viewing and Discussion NEW DATE - Thurs Mar 23
If you are an academic advisor to a student interested in pursuing a healthcare profession, this toolkit is here to assist you in answering questions and getting them on the right track.View Toolkit
Subscribe to our mailing list
Sign up for the Pre-Health Newsletter to be notified of important news and deadlines.
* indicates required