What is a Committee Letter?
The WVU Pre-Health Office and WVU Pre-Health Committee prepares Committee Letters of Evaluation for students who are applying to health professional schools, including medical (allopathic or osteopathic), dental, optometry, and podiatry schools. Research your professional programs to determine if a Committee Letter of Evaluation is preferred or required. Although most professional programs do not require a Committee Letter, it is highly recommended for some. Therefore, obtaining a Committee Letter remains optional for the student.
The Committee Letter process at WVU consists of completing a mock application, obtaining individual letter of recommendation, and participating in a Pre-Health Committee interview. The WVU Pre-Health Office submits the committee letter with the supporting individual letters of reference appended.
If you received a WVU Pre-Health Committee Letter in the past, you are still required to complete the entire process anew including requesting new individual letters of recommendation from the same or new letter writers. Please see our updated re-applicant committee letter instructions below.
If your professional program or school does not require a Committee Letter, but you are interested in additional support throughout the application process - check out our Application Prep Program!
Key Dates for the 2021 Committee Letter Process
- Self-Assessment Deadline - Monday, February 15th at 12:00 PM (noon) (EST)
- Mock Application Priority Deadline - Wednesday, March 24th at 11:59 PM (EST)
- Mock Application Absolute Deadline - Wednesday, April 15th at 11:59 PM (EST)
- The Pre-Health Office recommends giving your individual letter writers a deadline of May 31st
- May - July
Committee Letter Instructions
Re-applicant Committee Letter Instructions
- Casa de Esperanza Hands of Hope Service Year
- Summer 2021 Virtual International Healthcare Program
- Summer Health Professions Education Program 2021
- WVSOM Virtual Fall Open House November 21, 2020
- WVSOM Premed Conference December 12, 2020
If you are an academic advisor to a student interested in pursuing a healthcare profession, this toolkit is here to assist you in answering questions and getting them on the right track.View Toolkit
Subscribe to our mailing list
Sign up for the Pre-Health Newsletter to be notified of important news and deadlines.
* indicates required