Letter Writer Toolbox
WVU Pre-Health Committee Letter: Individual letter requests
Individual letters of recommendation are collected using the MountaineerTRAK system. Applicants make requests for confidential individual letters of recommendation to be submitted to MountaineerTRAK. Letter writers are automatically sent an email with information on how to login and complete the letter request. Applicants can view when letters have been submitted, but they cannot view the letter itself. Once all individual letters have been received, students submit the full packet of letters to the Pre-Health Committee through MountaineerTRAK for inclusion in their committee letter packet. The Pre-Health Committee submits these individual letters of recommendation as part of the committee letter on behalf of the student to the appropriate application service managing their graduate health professional school application (e.g. AMCAS, AADSAS, AACOMAS, etc.).
Deadline to submit individual letters: May 31st
Tips for writing a letter of evaluation
Typically, admissions committees require the letter be dated, signed, and on official
- Since the letter is sent on to all the schools the student applies to, we suggest addressing letters more generally to admissions committees (e.g. “To admissions committees at Schools of Medicine,…” )
- Faint praise can be harmful to the applicant. Therefore, if you are not comfortable writing the letter, respectfully decline.
Please be certain to spell the student's name correctly and provide the student's
full name within the first paragraph of the letter. Use the appropriate gender
pronoun throughout the letter for the student.
- Please note for which health professional school (e.g. medical, dental, optometry, etc.) that the student is applying and make sure you have indicated it correctly within the letter.
- Check out the document below for guidance on writing letters. The document is written specifically for medical students. However, the same general principles can be applied to all health professions. https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf
- Occupational Therapy Virtual Education Fair- September 19 from 10 am to 7 pm
- Pre-Med/Pre-Health Wilderness & Emergency Medicine Course in Colorado- Scholarship Deadline September 30
- Altius MCAT Test Prep and More- WVU Students Eligible for $1000+ Scholarships- Deadline September 30
- University of Maryland School of Pharmacy Online Information Session- September 20, 1-2 pm
- Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) Open House- October 20
If you are an academic advisor to a student interested in pursuing a healthcare profession, this toolkit is here to assist you in answering questions and getting them on the right track.View Toolkit
Subscribe to our mailing list
Sign up for the Pre-Health Newsletter to be notified of important news and deadlines.
* indicates required