Application Prep Program
What is the Application Prep Program?
The WVU Pre-Health Office is excited to offer our Application Prep Program to all students applying to graduate health professional schools and/or programs (e.g., Medical, Dental, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physician Assistant, Optometry, Veterinary Medicine, Orthotics & Prosthetics, Pharmacy, and more!) during an upcoming application cycle.
The program focuses on self-assessment of preparedness, application material feedback, and interviewing practice. Participants will submit a GPA calculator, mock application, and personal statement for review. The Pre-Health Office will provide feedback on application materials and will schedule a mock interview to help prepare students for graduate school interviews.
In addition to application support, we are pleased to offer our (new) Letter Packet Service as part of the Application Prep Program.
What is our NEW Letter Packet Service?
The Pre-Health Office Letter Packet Service was created after the discontinuation of the Pre-Health Committee Letter Process. For students and alumni applying to Medical, Dental, or Optometry School, the Pre-Health Office can submit a letter packet as part of your application process. Students who wish to receive a letter packet must complete the Application Prep Program which opens each spring semester.
The WVU Pre-Health Office Letter Packet will include:
- A cover letter from our office explaining our process
- At least 3 Individual Letters of Recommendation. We recommend any combination of the following*:
- Letters from science faculty who taught you in class
- Letter from a clinician who has observed you in a clinical setting
- Letter from someone that can describe your interpersonal competencies like your academic advisor, a non-science faculty member, a club/organization advisor, employer, etc.
- Letter as an open ended choice (optional)
If you are applying to AT, OT, PT, Pharmacy, Vet Med, or other programs, you should plan on having your letter writers submit their letters directly to the application service or program directly.
Note: This cover letter and packet is NOT a Committee Letter and does not summarize the candidate's qualifications, nor does the cover letter provide a level of endorsement of the candidate.
If you received a WVU Pre-Health Committee Letter in the past and are interested in obtaining a Letter Packet for the 2022 application cycle, you will be required to complete the Application Prep Program including requesting new individual letters of recommendation from the same or new letter writers.
Key Dates for Spring 2023
- Wednesday, January 4th @ 6:00 PM (EST) via Zoom
- Thursday, January 26th @ 6:00 PM (EST) via Zoom
- Tuesday, February 7th @ 6:00 PM (EST) via Zoom
- Self-Assessment Deadline - Friday, April 7th @ 12:00 PM (noon) (EST) *EXTENDED*
- Mock Application Deadline - Friday, April 14th @ 11:59 PM (EST) *EXTENDED*
- Deadline to Request Individual Letters - Thursday, June 1st @ 11:59 PM (EST)
- Deadline for Individual Letters to be Submitted - Tuesday, August 1st @ 11:59 PM (EST)
- Deadline to Submit Application Information for Letter Packet - Friday, August 4th @ 11:59 PM (EST)
- May - August
Application Prep Program + Letter Packet InstructionsPlease read the instructions document in its entirety for the WVU Pre-Health Application Prep Program and how to receive a Letter Packet. The other important documents and links for the 2023 Application Prep Program + Letter Packet Service are listed below the instructions. Instructions:
- 2023 Application Prep Program Instructions (download)
- 2023 Information Session Slide Deck (download)
- Application Portal Link (link)
- GPA Calculator (link)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Athletic Training (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Dental (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Medical School (DO) (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Medical School (MD) (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Naturopathic Medicine (ND) (download)
Pre-Health Mock Application - Occupational Therapy (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Optometry (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Orthotics & Prosthetics (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Pharmacy (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Physical Therapy (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Physician Assistant (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Public Health (download)
- Pre-Health Mock Application - Veterinary Medicine (download)
- 2023 Pre-Health Application Prep Program
- Spring 2023 Pre-Health Workshop Schedule
- American Physician Scientist Association Interactive Session - Feb 17
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences - Undergraduate Summer Internship
- "Black Men in White Coats" Documentary Viewing and Discussion NEW DATE - Thurs Mar 23
If you are an academic advisor to a student interested in pursuing a healthcare profession, this toolkit is here to assist you in answering questions and getting them on the right track.View Toolkit
Subscribe to our mailing list
Sign up for the Pre-Health Newsletter to be notified of important news and deadlines.
* indicates required